Re: Someone's screwing around with anon.penet.fi

At 18:37 4/6/96, Chris Walter wrote:

>In article
><cypherpunks.Pine.BSF.3.91.960406114609.5026B-100000@kirk.edmweb.com>
>Steve Reid <[email protected]> writes:
>
>>   Here's another one of them unsolicited messages from anon.penet.fi.
>
>I also got one of these right after I posted to cypherpunks.  I
>normally just lurk, and the address that was used is the machine I
>read and post news on(we have a gateway to the mailing list).  So I am
>pretty sure it is related to my posting to cypherpunks.
>
>I have written to the administrators at anon.penet.fi asking about this
>and informing them.  I'll pass on any relevant info they send me.

While taking to anon.penet.fi will help, the one to talk to is the list
owner and ask them to clean up their act. They should either reject any
attempt to use [email protected] IDs in lieu of the correct
[email protected] form, automatically convert the registration to
[email protected], or parse the membership list for [email protected]
IDs and fix them to the NAxxx form. If the list is run by Majordomo, there
is a patch that fixes the problem by correcting the address list [or it may
be outgoing address] (and I think keeping it clean at subscribe time).