Re: "Contempt" charges likely to increase

At 11:03 PM 4/7/96 -0700, david friedman wrote:
>Unicorn wrote:
>
>> No ISP in its right mind is going to ask for trouble.  If I'm a
>>prosecutor and I suspect that the ISP may be complicit in hiding
>>evidence, I'm going to ask for a search and seizure warrant (a la sun
>>devil) and just walk in and take the equipment I believe the data to be
>>on and then satisify myself that it's unattainable.
>
>Last semester I taught a seminar on computers, crime, and privacy and we
>had, as a guest lecturer one evening, Silicon Valley's one full time
>computer cop (he works for the SC County D.A.'s office). One of his
>comments was that ISP's were generally very cooperative, because they knew
>that he could legally impose large costs on them by seizing their systems
>as evidence.

It is exactly this attitude that we need to change.  I presume you saw my
comment from a day ago, when I pointed out that before 1968, local phonecos
were doing wiretaps without any sort of court order, simply because the
local cops (or FBI) asked, even though those requesting the tap could not
use the evidence in court.   And even _that_ level of cooperation was
presumably done without any plausible risk that the prosecutor could sieze
a phone switch for non-cooperation.  It is even likely that the phoneco
could have acted to lose the prosecutor/police his job if they had decided to press
and publicize what must have been an illegal request at the time.  The fact
they did not is telling. It was clearly not an "arm's length" relationship.
It was a relationship of friendly people who regularly did favors for each
other, playing with their customer's privacy.

This is the reality that we must face and deal with:  Officials abuse their
positions all the time. They will do so if the system is designed to allow
them to.  Allowing officials to sieze an ISP's equipment is just asking for
trouble.

In my opinion, ISP's should be able to decide ahead of time whether to
cooperate if they are asked for information.  They should be entitled to
take a position that they will (or will not) contract with their users to
prevent any disclosure of information, and this decision should be legally
binding on the prosecutor as well.  The "feedback loop" is closed by the
fact that bad publicity may accrue if the ISP refuses to cooperate, leading
to a "market" of different ISP's with different standards.  I am convinced
that whatever benefit may arguably accrue from being able to subpoena
information is far lower than the cost of loss of freedom that surely will
occur if prosecutors are able to strong-arm ISP's into illegal cooperation,
such as occurred with phonecos before 1968.

I'm still waiting for somebody to show that the majority of crimes that are
investigated using subpoena power are "malum in se" crimes, as opposed to
"malum prohibitum" ones.

Jim Bell
[email protected]