Re: Enforcing the CDA improperly may pervert Internet architecture

At 12:38 PM 4/9/96 -0500, Scott Brickner wrote:

>Wait a second.  I don't know that it's really as impossible as you
>think.  Given the CDA advocates' hypothesis that anonymity is a Bad
>Thing (tm), it's reasonable for them to assume that the ISP can arrange
>to have a policy requiring that it know who's making the SLIP/PPP
>connection.  It's not too hard to have *every* packet generated by a
>given connection flagged with an IP option indicating "adult" or
>"minor".

Of course that doesn't overcome the "technical problem" of getting the IETF
to adopt that change in the protocols and getting a significant number of
sites to adopt the new protocol.  Even if you impose a substitutte on the
IETF, it doesn't stop them from wandering off and creating their independent
protocols and seeing whether the "official" or the "unofficial" get adopted.

DCF