Re: Anonymous Remailer threat: Scientologists may subpoena anonymous remailer records?

From: [email protected] (Timothy C. May)
> At 7:37 PM 4/10/96, Jim Byrd wrote:
> >to find the identity of -AB-.  This turned out to be an alumni account at
> >Cal Tech.  The poster has never been heard from again.
>
> This was without a doubt just a user of one of Hal Finney's remailers he
> runs out of an account at Caltech. (There's a tiny chance it was someone
> else, but it fits the description of Hal's "alumni" remailer exactly, and
> is almost certainly just that.)

Actually, this is not true.  The poster, from rumors I have heard, was
someone else with a Caltech alumni account (I don't know who).  I have
never been contacted by any representatives of Scientology with respect
to this case.  So it is apparently just a coincidence that this case
involved the same system as my remailer.

Hal