Re: Scientologists may subpoena anonymous remailer records

- > BTW, has anyone out there created an anonymous web forwarder? I'm sure
- > there are a lot of people out there who don't like the idea of having
- > their email address in the log files of dozens of web servers... Creating
- > a simple web forwarder wouldn't be hard.
-
- I've heard several people make this statement...  Can anyone confirm that
- it is really possible to log the uid (username) of the person making the
- http request?  I know they can get your ip address, but I'm skeptical
- of getting the username.

    Yes, there are several web interfaces to anonymous remailers out
there (check altavista). No, they cannot get your username UNLESS you
have logged into the site by entering a username and password into a
www auth dialogue box -or- you are on a Unix box which is running
identd -and- the remote site runs a check (unlikely and DOES NOT
apply to dialups, unless you are running identd on your dialup).
    Even in the extremely unlikely event of a remailer running a
check using identd, that would not show up in the standard web logs.
    It would be theorically possible to get a username/True Name
from an IP address if you were on a dialup and the ISP kept track of
who was on what dialup and when.
glenn