Re: Anonymous Remailer threat: Scientologists may subpoena

At 02:30 PM 4/13/96 -0400, [email protected] wrote:

>On Wed, 10 Apr 1996, sameer wrote:
>

>> 	Frankly, I'm getting antsy. Is C2 going to get subpoena'd or
>> not? I would be very disappointed if we don't.
>> 	(Subpeonas envy!)
>
>All you have to do is call up CoS's lawyers. Let your fingers do the
>walking...
>
>Seriously though, might it not be nicer (easier?) to establish some court
>precedents on remailers vs. CoS rather than the government? Think of it as
>a preemptive strike.

Sounds like forum shopping/defendant shopping/plaintiff shopping.  An
excellent idea.  The best part is that COS is one of the most unsympathetic
organizations that could possibly be chosen, with the possible exception of
the American Nazi Party or the KKK.

 The argument of CoS's religious copyright and trade
>secrets don't seem to me be as emotionally effective horsemen as "National
>Security Threats" or "Child Pornography". I really wouldn't want to see
>Congress get away with legislating on remailers in a legal vacuum.

I sure hesitate to "hope" that the COS thing gets turned into an SC
decision, because that means that SOME defendant has to get pulled through
the ringer until he eventually wins.  Great for us; terrible for him.

>Go for it Sameer. ;-) (Hope you won't be needing Jim's ISP-Aspol inc.
>insurance against them pesky scientologists...[double ;-) ])

It's at this point that somebody usually observes that the COS could use AP
to get rid of its critics.  However, they're forgetting that with AP, its
critics can remain absolutely anonymous and still punish COS.  It would be
no contest.