Re: Watch your language, Shabbir.

At 08:34 PM 4/13/96 -0800, jim bell <[email protected]> wrote:
>At 08:07 PM 4/13/96 -0400, [email protected] wrote:
>>
>>On Tue, 9 Apr 1996, jim bell wrote:
>>
>>> Look, very carefully, at the last paragraph quoted above.  Mr. Safdar says,
>>> "No reasonable person is objecting to the FBI's right to conduct a wiretap."
>>
>>That's right. Because no reasonable person thinks they can convince Congress
>>or the Supremes otherwise. It isn't impossible, but energies are best spent
>>elsewhere, like getting the Burns bill passed.
>
>But that's not entirely the issue.   Mr. Safdar's wording is critical,
>because it concedes FAR too much about what the government is assumedly
>entitled to do. Below, you've admitted that everybody here believes in what
>Mr. Safdar claims "no reasonable person" believes.
[snip]

No.  Shabbir claims just what he said, AFAIK, that "no reasonable person is
objecting..."  A very different matter.  What I believe and what I choose to
object to through organized political initiatives may be two different things.

If Shabbir's wording is so critical, why did you change it by adding "believes?"

I don't believe government should be able to wiretap it's citizens, but I
also don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell of taking that power away
from the FBI.  That's why I want strong crypto.  There is a far greater chance
of getting some decent crypto legislation enacted than of completely removing
the FBI's authority to wiretap.  It's a much more "reasonable" goal, in that
sense.

There are people much more deserving of cypherpunk scorn than someone who
works as hard on these issues as Shabbir.  It's pretty pathetic, Jim.

Rich
Rich Burroughs  [email protected]  http://www.teleport.com/~richieb
See my Blue Ribbon Page at http://www.teleport.com/~richieb/blueribbon
New EF zine "cause for alarm" - http://www.teleport.com/~richieb/cause