Re: carrick, Blowfish & the NSA

 Jerry Whiting writes:
 > One reason we chose to use Blowfish as the basis for carrick is that
 > it _is_ a new algorithm.  One has to assume that the NSA et al. has
 > tools optimized to crack DES and possibly IDEA/RSA.  At least let's
 > give them something else to sweat over.

Algorithms die. If you want to publish and implement an API that will last,
try to improve on of the many multi-algorithm specs that are already out
there. If the next round of research kills one particular algorithm, your
work will then still not be wasted. (Apologies for writing something so
obvious and general.)