Re: Enforcing the CDA improperly may pervert Internet architecture

From:	IN%"[email protected]"  "Alan Olsen" 14-APR-1996 00:34:14.24

>What these schemes will do is shield children from anything resembling a
>"controversial" discussion.  (I expect Cypherpunks to be labeled as "could
>cause criminal behaviour" or some such malarky by the more protective and
>clueless.  (It may be true, but why warn them upfront? ]:> ))  You will see
>the forces of "good" try and protect the little kidlets from anything that
>might get them to think for themselves.  It is already happening in some
>sectors of public thought, I expect the net to become its next victim.

	The proposed standard wants to make kid-nonavailable material on
"glorifying drug use" and gambling. In both these cases, many political
arguments on the subject (i.e., those arguing that the substances or behaviors
in question are less harmful than some suppose) would be classified as
something that parents should be able to block out.
	-Allen