Re: A possible problem with more regulation possible?

At 02:17 PM 4/16/96 EDT, E. ALLEN SMITH wrote:
>	This proposal would appear to increase vulnerability to regulation.
>	-Allen
>
>From:	IN%"[email protected]"  7-APR-1996 18:42:00.83
>
>>MORE ROUTERS = MORE INTERNET BROWNOUTS
>>As businesses and Internet operators keep adding routers to speed electronic
>>content on its way, the proliferation of routing devices actually begins to
>>slow traffic, causing Internet "brownouts" -- when the response time slows
>>to a crawl.  The solution could be an updated Internet, redesigned for
>>fewer, more powerful routers, so that data packets need fewer hops.  "The
>>U.S. Internet is about as reliable these days as the phone system in
>>Russia," says NetStar's VP for sales and marketing.  (Business Week 8 Apr 96
>>p82)

I'd like to hear of some estimates of the cost (total, and per-user) of
installing the system, and running Internet on a daily basis.  They are
spread out over a large number of entities, but I'd think they could be
estimated with at least a factor-of-two precision.

What are the costs of laying fiber?  Switching equipment? etc.