Re: OS/2 encryption

At 06:53 AM 4/21/96, [email protected] wrote:
>Well, anything to slow them down.  It was reported to me that when Dennis
>Erlich was raided last year, they rendered his computer unbootable because
>of the deletions they had made.  As it is, I haven't been able to find an
>appropriate security utility beyond PGP (which I've been using for over a
>year anyway).  So this discussion is moot.

Good luck finding something.  You might want to see if there's a Norton
version for OS/2; their Diskrete product for DOS may not be the highest
quality system in the world but at least it's a start, and maybe they do OS/2.

There are two ways the Bad Guys can get your system, or the data off it -
they can get a search/seizure warrant, or they can subpoena it into court,
and you have a lot more control over the process with a subpoena,
though the court may be able to compel production of your password
(that's debatable, and it's been much debated here and on Cyberia-L,
but a search or seizure warrant _can't_ get your password if it's not
written down.)
Therefore, if they do a seizure, and your file system is encrypted,
the Bad Guys can trash the whole thing, or random blocks, but without
the password they can't selectively delete data, and trashing the
whole thing could look _real_ bad for them in court.

>Look folks.  *This* is what it's about.  I like a little humour.  So what
>I've been doing is taking *posted* documents and running them through a
>filter (the "encheferizer" of alt.swedish.chef.bork.bork.bork) and then
>reposting them to alt.religion.scientology.  I have been doing this for
>over a year.  It's only been recently that (a) the Church <spit> started
>cancelling them and (b) that they started threatening me over it.

Parodies are legal, but translations may still violate copyright, and
essentially you're doing an automated translation into some bizarre language
space.
So if you're using real* CoS documents, you may have a problem.
        [* Yeah, I know, "real CoS documents" is a bit of an oxymoron. ]
Does the Chef do Clam Chowder?
#					Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, [email protected], +1-415-442-2215