Re: Mindshare and Java

On Thu, 25 Apr 1996, Rich Graves wrote:

> In my fantasy world, I'm not asking you to verify signatures every time
> you run something. Maybe you can tune how often you want stuff checked, so
> you have a tradeoff between security and performance.

In SolidOak, the verification is more or less free of charge, as it runs
the signature code in a separate low priority thread, which often gets to
complete during network induced latencies when fetching sub-classes, which
can be initiated on class download before the code is instantiated.It also
allows multiple classes to verified with just one PKOP, so the cpu cost
is amortised over a lot of stuff

Simon

---
They say in  online country             So which side are you on boys
There is no middle way                  Which side are you on
You'll either be a Usenet man           Which side are you on boys
Or a thug for the CDA                   Which side are you on?
  National Union of Computer Operatives; Hackers, local 37   APL-CPIO