code vs cypher

Perry E. Metzger" <[email protected]> writes:

pm> tm> Timothy C. May writes:
pm> tm>  Well, I was not invited to join the elite and secret
pm> tm>  coderpunks list,

pm> It is neither elite nor secret. It is fairly high signal to noise.
pm> I think only about one in every fifty or so cypherpunks
pm> messages has any content at all worth mentioning.

Agreed!  I wasn't "invited".  I simply requested access and
was quickly welcomed to the list.

pm> tm> but I still have some thoughts on coding and,
pm> tm> especially, on the opportunities offered by Java.
pm> tm> Sorry if this interferes with discussions of Rabbi
pm> tm> Heir and Morris Dees.

pm> You have no right to grumble about the situation here.
pm> It is exactly what you wanted. Here you were, a person
pm> of some personal gravitas and moral authority, and you
pm> put your stamp on the "post whatever you like; don't let
pm> the grumbling censors stop you". Well, as you sow, so
pm> shall you reap. Its your fault, more than anyone else's.

TC May was not the first person to substantialy digress from
chartered topics but he certainly "ran with the ball" when he
got his chance to expose his ignorance and intolerance of
other races and religions ( the cypher-relevance or "charter
topicality of which always escaped me).  I was discouraged
by the encouragement given to the murder advocating moron,
Jim Bell to post his insance littany.

pm> If Cypherpunks has become a cesspit, well, its YOUR cesspit,
pm> Tim. Its the list you always strove to create, but it appears
pm> that you now don't like the smell of your own wallow. Well,
pm> sorry. Deal with it.

Well put, Perry!