Re: You are now an International Arms Trafficker (#1) ???

At 01:10 PM 4/27/96 -0700, William Knowles wrote:
>Yikes,
>
>Tell me that conspiracy to break ITAR isn't grounds for becoming
>arms trafficker #1
>
>I don't even have the latest version of the shortened Perl-RSA
>code back from the screenprinters.

I thought of a method of exporting encryption code that doesn't require an
export license, but better yet makes some _deserving_ soul a criminal.   (In
hindsight, it seems obvious, although I don't recall seeing it discussed.)

Basically, you take advantage of the fact that on the Internet,
incorrectly-addressed email is often/usually returned to what appears to be
the sender.  For example, send PGP source, split into appropriately-sized
chumks, to somebody like   [email protected].    Mis-spell his name, of
course, and forge the note so that it appears to be coming from some
out-of-country address.  His ISP's system's email software sees the bad address,
"returns" it, and it's sent to that out-of-US location.  Keep the messages
as evidence; forward them to the appropriate prosecutor, who is stuck
between a rock and a hard place:  Either he prosecutes a "good guy," or he
fails to prosecute an unauthorized encryption exporter and thus sets up a
bad precedent.

Jim Bell
[email protected]