Re: www.WhoWhere.com selling access to my employer's passwd file

On Sat, 27 Apr 1996, Rich Graves wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Apr 1996, Black Unicorn wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 27 Apr 1996, Sentiono Leowinata wrote:
> >

> > > I wonder how they can get the e-mail address? Our finger daemon are
> > > blocked. Many un-broadcast e-mail addresses (the account never send any
> > > e-mails to anyone) are in the database. How?
> > > Furthermore, isn't it also privacy invasion?
> > > Would any hackers or expert people kindly to tell me how to block
> > > further threat like this?
> >
> > Use a nym.
>
> This doesn't necessarily help if you work or study at a large institution
> (stanford.edu, for example).

I think you took my comment in a smaller scope than it was intended.

Use a nym.  If you want absolute privacy, work and study under a nym.
It's hardly difficult, you just have to start early.

The bottom line is if you want privacy you have to work for it.  You are
screwed the moment you give your information to anyone.  The first
transfer you have puts information into the system regardless of the legal
'protections' that say otherwise.

Treat your personal information as you would a trade secret.  Once it's
out, it's out.

Depending on someone else (university, employer, government,
phonecompany etc.) to protect data for you is, in my view, foolish.

Do it yourself.

It may seem extreme, but it is the only way to be certain.

---
My preferred and soon to be permanent e-mail address:[email protected]
"In fact, had Bancroft not existed,       potestas scientiae in usu est
Franklin might have had to invent him."    in nihilum nil posse reverti
00B9289C28DC0E55  E16D5378B81E1C96 - Finger for Current Key Information
Opp. Counsel: For all your expert testimony needs: [email protected]