Re: Calling other code in Java applications and applets

> And I believe that even applets can read and write data files on disk IF
> THE APPLET ENVIRONMENT PERMITS this. Netscape and similar environments at
> this time of course _don't_ let this happen, but this is a choice (as I
> understand it) made at this time and perhaps for this version of the
> respective pieces of software. (As I understand it, an explicit decision
> not to allow file i/o, for some obvious though not necessarily permanent
> reasons.)
This is correct. A class called the SecurityManager enforces this,
and it can be changed or shut off if one builds a custom version of the
classes zip file that has the appropriate changes to the security manager.
There was a posting to a java news group or mailing list about how to do
this a few months ago, I can find it if anyone cares.

Andy