Re: Freedom and security

CyberAngels Director : Colin Gabriel Hatcher writes:
> If they were antithetical then as freedom increased security would
> decrease, and as security increased freedom would decrease.
>
> It is not IMHO inevitable that if we increase security we will jeopardize
> freedom.  My concern is that if we ignore security we will have no freedom
> left to protect.
>
> I don't believe the Internet community is split into two camps on this
> issue - there appear to me to be many places where people draw their lines
> at different points.  I don't believe that security is the enemy of
> freedom.  I believe that freedom needs security in order to exist at all.

You will pardon my asking this, but, security from what? Who are the
evil Network Terrorists throwing Bit Bombs or whatever? The only
security you need on the internet is keeping your site from being
broken in to, which is mostly a matter of setting it up
properly. What, exactly, is the "Security" that you are offering us?

Perry