Re: The Joy of Java

(No cryptorelevance, but neither is anything else on this list anymore)

[email protected] (Alan Bostick) writes:
> > to portability...what the world might have looked like for the past 15
> > years has the UCSD p-system succeeded instead of MS-DOS)
>
> What a horrifying thought!  UCSD p-system actually made MS-DOS look good.

My recollection is that when IBM first started selling IBM PC, they offered
a choice of (at least) 3 operating systems right from the start: UCSD p-system,
CP/M-86 or PC-DOS.  IBM didn't do anything to prompte PC-DOS over the other
two. It won fair and square in the marketplace because the other two were
even worse crap. (Later versions of CP/M-86 got much better.)

---