[History] USPS tried to monopolize email? (c. 1981)

    Since I saw Paul Raine's presentation on proposed USPS electronic
timestamping and CA services (btw, they are also proposing to
archive business e-correspondence for a fee), I've been trying to
recall a nasty little episode from about 15 years ago.

   Paul was adamant that the USPS would never seek a monopoly
position on any e-service.

   However, back in the early 80's (It had to be in the 1980-83 range,
I suspect  1981) I clearly remember a proposal that the USPS be
granted the monopoly status as email carrier that it then and
still enjoys for first class mail. As I recall, the proposal would
require email to be routed to the nearest post office to the
destination, and there printed and delivered as paper mail.

   Needless to say, this did not happen. I am not certain, but would
not be at all surprised, if this suggestion actually emanated from the
letter carrier's union. I remember a line from some official, along
the lines of "We don't know exactly what this thing [email] is, but
we own it!"

   I know that I am not hallucinating this, but the above is pretty much
all I recall. Anyone else have more details?

Peter Trei
[email protected]