From: [email protected] (Matthew Gaylor)

From: [email protected] (CyberAngels Director : Colin Gabriel Hatcher)
Subject: CYBERANGELS

Thanks for your interest in our group.  We apologize for any delay in
answering your enquiry.  Our service is not automated, and we have a huge
quantity of enquiries to deal with.  Briefing papers about our work are
still in preparation.  Keep in touch with us till then.  If you have any
personal problems on the Internet, or if you find an interesting and
relevant website, then write and tell us.  We will shortly be opening a new
WWW site, and we will send a release when that is ready.  Till then, take
care, and keep your eyes open while you are cruising!  Let us know if you
find any material or activity that you think should be investigated!  Let
us know also if you find any interesting websites that share our mission!
You are now on our rmailing list!  Stand by for regular information and
alerts for CyberAngels missions.

Gabriel

THE INTERNET IS OUR NEIGHBORHOOD - LET'S LOOK AFTER IT!

CYBERANGELS - WHO ARE WE?

We are an all-volunteer Internet safety patrol and monitoring project
started  in June 1995 by senior members of the world famous crime
prevention organization The International Alliance of Guardian Angels.

CyberAngels membership currently numbers more than 1000 users worldwide
in15 countries, who share a common mission - to be a Cyberspace
Neighborhood Watch and to fight Internet crime.  Our numbers are growing
daily.

We are working to make the Internet a safer and more enjoyable place to
work and play, by being role models for self-regulation and responsibility.

We are dedicated:

TO FIGHT CRIME ON THE INTERNET
 in particular criminal activity where there are clear personal victims
and/or at-risk users.

TO PROTECT OUR CHILDREN FROM ONLINE CRIMINAL ABUSE
by fighting against the trade in child pornography and by working to deter
sexual predators online.

TO GIVE SUPPORT, ADVICE AND ASSISTANCE TO INTERNET VICTIMS OF HATE MAIL,
HARASSMENT AND SEXUAL ABUSE ONLINE
by referring them to professional assistance and by helping to guide them
through the compaints and reporting processes.

TO PROMOTE, PRESERVE AND PROTECT NETIQUETTE
 that is, the rules of polite conduct  that govern our use of the Internet.
We believe in courtesy and respect for others.  We support Internet
Service Providers who have clearly defined Terms of Service for the User,
and who are prepared to enforce it.

TO HELP TO PRESERVE INTERNET FREEDOM OF SPEECH
by showing Governments that the Internet Community is prepared to take both
responsibililty and actions to preserve the personal safety of all its
members, and particularly its children.

HOW DO WE FIGHT CRIME ON THE INTERNET?

Crime on the Internet is a tiny percentage of everything that is there.
But it is real and it is claiming victims with increasing regularity.  We
believe that we the Net Community should take the responsibility for the
problem - after all it is our fellow users who are the criminals - and also
that we should assume the responsibility for crime prevention measures.
CyberAngels don't just talk about it.  WE ACT.

EDUCATION / ADVICE / CYBERSTREETSMARTS

The Internet to us is like a vast city: public and private areas, kids and
adult areas, safe areas and crime areas.  To travel it safely you need some
CyberStreetsmarts.  One of our main methods of crime prevention on the Net
is by educating users about the possible problems they may encounter, and
how to avoid them

Education means educating parents realistically about the Internet so that
they areaware of the dangers, but are not overreacting.  It's important
that parents and kids cooperate in this area.  The Internet is such a
wonderful learning environment that we wish to encourage kids to use it -
but adults must take responsibility for making sure our kids do not wander
into areas that are not appropriate.

We act as an advisory service for any user with problems of personal safety
and / or personal security on the Net.  This advice ranges from how to deal
with mailbombs, forged email, mailing list spams, virii,  impersonation and
other electronic sabotage and harassment methods,  to information about how
to deal with hate mail, sexual harassment, kids'  safety online and
unsolicited email.  Many users do not know how to report abuse nor to whom
they should report it.  CyberAngels can usually help.

SAFETY PATROLS

CyberAngels volunteers run regular Safety Patrols on the Net. Safety
Patrols on the Internet means cruising the electronic highways, keeping
your eyes open for problems.  The main areas we patrol are the Usenet
(Newsgroups) and the live channels (IRC / Chat rooms etc).

We read Newsgroups, especially the binaries groups on the Usenet, and if we
find images of child pornography posted up there we refer those files to
federal law enforcement authorities, eg US Customs Service.

We also check out fraud schemes on the Usenet, and if necessary report them
to the National Fraud Centre.  We also keep track of Spam developments -
who is mass mailing unsolicited mail and what they are offering.

We travel the live channels of IRC / MUDS or the chat rooms in the big
Providers, looking out for sexual predators searching for children, or
pedophiles trading child pornography in the live talk areas. This is a
major source of child pornography on the Net.  If we find it we report it
to Sysadmins and Federal authorities.

We cruise the World Wide Web, checking sites to make sure child pornography
is not being used to attract visitors, and checking that a site that says
it is Kidsafe really is suitable for children.  We visit and read websites
and FTP sites of Racist and other Hate Organizations, keeping a check on
their activities.  There is a very close relationship between Racist
material and Racist activities (eg Hate mail and harassment, violent
threats and intimidation).

We don't believe in the philosophy that "anything goes" on the Net. The
Internet is a society and in societies where "anything goes" then crime and
violence dominate, and the stronger consume the weaker.  The Internet is a
newly developing global nation - and we need Cyberspace law and law
enforcement  if users rights are to be protected.  We believe in FREEDOM
AND JUSTICE UNDER LAW. And although we recognize the problems of how
National Laws can be applied to an International society, we believe that
the first step is that Netizens CARE about Cybercrime and the victims of
Cybercrime.

YOU CAN HELP US!

WE NEED VOLUNTEERS!

The Internet Community is huge - a worldwide network of around 40 million
people, 11 million Websites, 3500 Service Providers - and it's growing
every day.    The more volunteers we have, the more effective we can be.
And by giving a little of your time to looking after the welfare of the
Net, you can make a real difference!

Anyone can be a CyberAngel.  The only requirement is that you commit a
minimum of 2 hours per week to the project.  No previous experience or
special skills are necessary, .although a computer and an Internet account
would be useful! :)  Being a CyberAngel  involves no risk or danger.  You
are volunteering only to be eyes watching the Net, looking out for the
welfare of others.

CAN YOU HELP US?

You may be able to help us in other ways - we are a Division of Guardian
Angels and we are a 501 (C)(3) Non-profit organization.  Our membership is
voluntary and we are in desperate need of more resources.  All of your
donations are tax-deductible.  You can help us by donating money,
computers, Internet access accounts, design skills, or websites.  Alternatively
you may like to consider sponsoring our work on the Internet.  Contact us
for details.

* Cyberangels support SAFESURF in their campaign for child safe areas on the
Net
* Cyberangels support WEBSAFE and their work with kids, teens and parents.
* Cyberangels support the BLUE RIBBON Freedom of Speech campaign
* Cyberangels support PICS, other rating systems and screening software
*Cyberangels support CYBERSPACE LAW AND LAW ENFORCEMENT.

CYBERSPACE NEEDS CYBERANGELS!

Colin Gabriel Hatcher - CyberAngels Director
[email protected]

"Freedom and justice, under law"

Subscribe to Freematt's Alerts: Pro-Individual Rights Issues
Send a blank message to: [email protected] with the words subscribe FA
on the subject line. List is private and moderated (7-20 messages per week)
Matthew Gaylor,1933 E. Dublin-Granville Rd.,#176, Columbus, OH  43229

___