Re: Why I dislike Java. (was Re: "Scruffies" vs. "Neats")

At  8:34 PM 5/2/96 -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>At one of my clients, there is a software testing lab where all
>software that is placed on the trading floor is rigorously tested for
>months before it is put out on the users desktop -- it is, indeed,
>tested in conjunction with all other products the user would be
>using. No software is deployed before rigorous testing occurs. By the
>time the thing is put out, it is known to a high degree of certainty
>that it will not cause damage.

My clients have a similar testing setup for new communications software.
It is one way they are able to offer a reliable service to their clients.

>I would very much prefer a language who's security did not require
>such analysis. Java, sadly, does require such an analysis because it
>requires perfect implementation for its security model to work. In a
>restricted execution environment that was designed with defense in
>depth in mind, such an analysis would be a bonus, but not strictly
>required.

All secure systems require perfect implementation of the security kernel.
Java has a very large security kernel, since it's kernel includes the
kernel in the underlying operating system.  As such, it is probably not
suited for high security environments.*  However, it may well be secure
enough for individuals to run on their private machines.

* If a Java equipped browser is run in a operating system provided secure
environment, this restriction may not apply.  Such an operating system
would have to provide Orange Book A or B level features (mandatory
security).

Bill Frantz       | The CDA means  | Periwinkle  --  Computer Consulting
(408)356-8506     | lost jobs and  | 16345 Englewood Ave.
[email protected] | dead teenagers | Los Gatos, CA 95032, USA