Re: Why I dislike Java. (was Re: "Scruffies" vs. "Neats")

At  9:03 AM 5/3/96 -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>... The problem I have is
>that I expect that increasingly pages will arise for which information
>can only be extracted with the use of Java. Some flunky from some desk
>will will come up and scream "what do you mean I can't get a copy of
>Foo Corporation's merger press release because we won't run some
>program! Thats bullshit! Do you know how much money the risk arb desk
>pulls in, you twit! This must never happen again! Fix it immediately!"

Unfortunately the market decided that function and price were more
important than security.  (I know, I spent 10 years developing and trying
to sell an OS with strong security features.)  The only thing I can suggest
to you is, spend the bucks, desk real estate, confusion etc. and have two
machines; a secure/reliable one and an insecure/unreliable one.  Make sure
OS manufacturers like Apple and Microsoft know that you want to be able to
disable the build in Java they have announced.

You may be able to develop a way of transferring the clipboard between the
machines so the dancing Java displayed economic numbers can be easily and
safely transferred to the secure machine's analysis program.

Regards - Bill

Bill Frantz       | The CDA means  | Periwinkle  --  Computer Consulting
(408)356-8506     | lost jobs and  | 16345 Englewood Ave.
[email protected] | dead teenagers | Los Gatos, CA 95032, USA