Re: Why Leahy is No Friend of Ours

From:	IN%"[email protected]"  "attila"  5-MAY-1996 21:36:54.93

>        how many _truly_ "populist" presidents have we elected?

	Given the numbers of times that a democracy has done more harm than
good to civil liberties (Prohibition, the election of Islamic Fundamentalists
in Algeria, etcetera), we don't _want_ a "populist"/demagogue president. We
want someone in charge (to whatever degree that someone has to be in charge)
who will respect civil liberties. The masses aren't going to elect such a
person; they prefer protection to liberty and always will.

>           "They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little
>               temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
>                        --Ben Franklin (Historical Review of PA -1759)
>
>    and, the bottom line is:
>
>              "It is not the function of our Government to keep the citizen
>                  from falling into error;
>               it is the function of the citizen to keep the Government
>                  from falling into error."
>                             --Robert H. Jackson (1892-1954), U.S. Judge

	Quite.
	-Allen