[hrdware] Is Tempest detecting only video?

On 11 May 96 at 20:35, jim bell wrote:

>  I'm waiting for cheap flat-panel displays for desktop computers
> to arrive, because they will probably be almost impossible to
> detect usably by Tempest systems.

Does Tempest detects only the emission from the electron gun in the
monitor or can it get a usable "lock" on some other signals generated
within a computer?

As an example, can it grab the keystrokes?  If the answer is yes, can
it do it:

a) rarely
b) occasionally
c) most of the time
d) almost all of the time
e) never

Could somebody knowledgeable in Tempest can rate the various
emissions from a computer?

(such as: keyboard, COM port, modem, lpt, video signal(from the
card), disk write, monitor emission, network comms, etc)

Ciao

JFA
Just curious...

 PGP key ID# C58ADD0D  at: http://w3.citenet.net/users/jf_avon
 Key Fingerprint: 529645E8205A8A5E F87CC86FAEFEF891
 Unsollicited commercial e-mail will be proofread at US165 $/h
 Any sender of such material will be considered as to have ac-
 cepted the above mentionned terms.