Re: Fingerprinting annoyance

On Tue, 14 May 1996, Black Unicorn wrote:

> On Mon, 13 May 1996, Paul S. Penrod wrote:
>

> > On Mon, 13 May 1996, Senator Exon wrote:
> >
> > > in connection with a character and fitness report i have been
> > > asked to supply a review board with a set of my fingerprints
> > > i have never been fingerprinted before
> > > i am not very keen on the idea now
> > > of course refusing will attract suspicion
> > > short of getting someone else to put their fingers in ink for
> > > me does anyone have a cute method by which to obscure my prints
> > > on those cute little cards without it being obvious?
> > > i can fill out and manipulate the card myself i just need a
> > > working method.
> > > is there no privacy advocate who can help me?
> > >

> > First off, if you were born in the US, they have your feet and/or hand
> > prints on record. Secondly, fingerprints are not an absolute proof
> > positive means of identification. They are sufficiently unique enough
> > that it satisfies the statistical error acceptability for many
> > governmental agencies.
> >
> > I wouldn't worry about it personally. There are more effective ways of
> > getting around such things if you really need to. If you don't have any
> > historical baggage, then don't make waves.
>
> More effective?  Why not share them with the list?  The guy obviously IS
> worried about it, and maybe reasonably so.

Yes.

No, and for obvious reasons.

If the guy is worried because he is paranoid, then that is his reality.
It's not as difficult as you might think to find someone if you really
want to - with or without fingerprints.

If he is paranoid because he has baggage, then that is also his problem.
We live by our own choices everyday - both good and bad. There are some
consequences that take time to catch up with us, and some of those are
unavoidable.

If the job is worth it to him, then he will submit - otherwise there are
lots of other places to work that don't require printing.

...Paul