Re: Past one terabit/second on fiber

At 10:38 PM 5/15/96 -0400, Alan Horowitz wrote:
>Hey, let's build faster and faster fiber-optic networks. Let's create
>bandwidth so cheap that it won't even pay to meter it.
>
>Yes, the world's problems will be solved if we have more and more people
>talking longer longer and longer on the telephone, sending each other
>more and more pages of faxes and e-mails, creating more Web pages,
>playing virtual reality games. Anything and everything must be done to
>encourage people to occupy and consume bandwidth.
>
>Now that's progress, don't you think?

Yes, I do!  Because these activities don't just happen by themselves, they
take the place of other activities which were formerly done in their place.
The trivial example of sending letters has been replaced by email.  Shopping
(by foot or by car) is now a web activity. Telecommuting for many is an
option, and will be more so in the future.   In fact, I would say that one
of the best results of Internet connectivity has been a strong increase in
political awareness.  We just recently had the "Tax Freedom Day" which
should alert you that our own time has been co-opted by government for its
own ends.  Web activity is low-energy consuming, not particularly risky, and
is actually fun for many.  Eventually, people may take "Virtual Reality
Vacations" where they can visit without travel.  Since you spend more time
at home, you are less subject to crime.

Is this progress?  Damn right it is!  It saves gas, food, human lives, and
what will eventually be a great deal of money that won't have to be spend on
transportation facilities.  It will eventually get us out from under the
yoke of tyranny, which should be the ultimate goal.

True, it's _different_ than what we're used to, but that's okay.  If
anything, that's why some people will resist it, but that doesn't make them
right.

Jim Bell
[email protected]