Re: A cryptographic alternative to escrow agents (Matts' half coin)

On Fri, 17 May 1996, Matts Kallioniemi wrote:

> Black Unicorn wrote (was: Why does the state still stand)
>
> >> .  What if a company does not pay as expected - other than adopting
> >> Assassination Politics, what method could an employee use towards
> >> getting their expected remuneration for work done?
> >
> >If payment is made weekly, it should be made in advance to an escrow agent
> >who would issue a certificate that the payment for employee r2dd54 has
> >been received.  The payment would then not be released to anyone without
> >the consent of the corporation and the employee.
> >
> >Obviously the escrow agent would have to be trusted.
>
> It should be possible to avoid that trusted escrow agent using blinded
> ecash and Matts' half coin algorithm.
>
> Bob wants to buy a $100 service from Alice. Alice wants to get paid if she
> performs the service.
>
> Bob and Alice each create half of a $300 ecash coin. They send their half
> coins to the ecash mint for signing, with instructions to withdraw $200
> from Bob's account and $100 from Alice's account for the signing of a
> $300 coin.
>
> When the mint has received both half coins, it signs the complete coin,
> withdraws the money and returns the signature to both Alice and Bob.
> Nobody can now use the coin alone because they don't know the other half
> of the random coin number.

The mint is the escrow agent.  It still (obviously) needs to be trusted.

---
My preferred and soon to be permanent e-mail address:[email protected]
"In fact, had Bancroft not existed,       potestas scientiae in usu est
Franklin might have had to invent him."    in nihilum nil posse reverti
00B9289C28DC0E55  E16D5378B81E1C96 - Finger for Current Key Information
Opp. Counsel: For all your expert testimony needs: [email protected]