Rumor: DSS Broken?

This is a rumor. It is only a rumor. If you don't want to read a rumor,
please hit your "d" key now...

A wierd thing happened to me today.

I was talking to someone who was talking to someone (have I said this is a
rumor yet?) who was solicited for comment by a Very Famous Reporter about
the fact that  DSS, the Digital Signature Standard, promulgated by NIST, I
believe, had been broken.

I seem to remember people scoffing about it here when it came out, so news
of it's breaking is probably not a big deal to some of us. However, I
understand that people are shipping product and offering consulting
services based on DSS, and if the rumor is in fact true, there may be more
fun and games in the press about it...

Cheers,
Bob Hettinga

Robert Hettinga ([email protected])
e$, 44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA
"If they could 'just pass a few more laws',
  we would all be criminals."    --Vinnie Moscaritolo
The e$ Home Page: http://thumper.vmeng.com/pub/rah/