Re: Cypherpunks, a political "newsgroup?"

On Sun, 19 May 1996, Declan B. McCullagh wrote:

> Excerpts from internet.cypherpunks: 19-May-96  by anonymous-remailer@shell
> > Cypherpunks is not a political newsgroup.
>
> Hah! Most everything that's discussed here has political overtones. I,
> for one, appreciated in the info on the Burmese businessman and
> forwarded it to fight-censorship. I'll link it in to
> http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~declan/international/ when I get a chance.

Me Too!

I can't speak for the old Perry, but I think the Burma thing (government
outlawing communications technology) was perfectly on topic for this list.
I was also inclined to offer to help, if there's anything you think I
could do. I know a couple of grad students who are very interested in the
Burmese political situation, and if there's anything useful that can be
done technologically, I'd like to help.

The Hack China Contest isn't going very well, but perhaps Burma will be
easier.

-rich