Re: The Crisis with Remailers

At  1:01 AM 5/20/96 -0400, E. ALLEN SMITH wrote:
>From:   IN%"[email protected]" 17-MAY-1996 15:56:36.35
>
>>Perhaps what is needed is a non-profit, charitable 501c foundation to
>>encourage anonymous communication.  Those who support the idea could make
>>tax deductible contributions which would be used for grants, public
>>education etc. etc. to encourage anonymous communication.  It could be
>>called, "The Federalist Foundation" because the Federalist Papers were
>>published anonymously.
>
>        Hmm... I wonder if it would be good for this Foundation to itself
>operate some for-pay remailers, in order to make some money from sources
>besides contributions? Possible disadvantages:
>        A. It could get sued, and thus lose funds
>        B. If its prices were set too low, it could wind up driving other
>remailers out of the market (combination of low price with likelihood to still
>be there), and thus become a vulnerable point.

In general, I think this foundation should limit itself to:

(1) Supporting the creation of techniques for anonymous communication (e.g
remailers, nym servers etc.)  This could include grants for theoretical
work and grants for the production of out-of-the-box public domain systems.

(2) Public education on the need and value of anonymous communication.

(3) Demonstration projects to help create a market where none exists.

Whenever there is a market, the foundation, like governments, should not
participate as a competitor.

Bill Frantz       | The CDA means  | Periwinkle  --  Computer Consulting
(408)356-8506     | lost jobs and  | 16345 Englewood Ave.
[email protected] | dead teenagers | Los Gatos, CA 95032, USA