Re: AP

At 04:28 PM 5/20/96 +0000, Jean-Francois Avon wrote:  [quoting Jim Ray>>]

>Interesting.  Has AP ever popped-up in the conventional medias?

Other than the article I quote in its entirety in Part 8 of AP, an article
from the Asahi Evening News (an english-language daily newspaper in Japan), no.

>Then, again, I know an awfull lot of people who would applaude Bell.
>But most of them are not computer litterate.  They are from another
>generation, not brainwashed by "Don't ask what your country can
>do for you; ask what you can do for your country"...

Unfortunately, it generally takes knowledge of at least computer networking,
with a little knowledge of encryption and a vaguely passing familiarity with
digital cash, to understand AP with enough detail to be useful.  But I'm
constantly amazed at how many people really APPRECIATE the idea, and its
ramifications.

>> This kind of thinking might authorize a massive Cherokee
>> massacre if it spread, IMO.
>
>Please, do point out the similarities and the differences... I think
>that the context is very different.

If anything, I think AP would have allowed Indians to defend themselves, had
they had access to it.

>> We must, as
>> Libertarians, face the fact that taxation we object to is not seen
>> by many people as coercive.

I don't think this is necessary:  They need not see that something is wrong
to be deterred by the possibility of their agents getting killed doing
something that they see as "non-coercive."

>> Even then, I prefer the judicial process to the oligarchy
>> this scheme would entail
>
>This scheme is *not* an oligarchy.  Pay a visit to any good dictionary
>near you.  Words have precise meaning and it is *much* better to
>stick to it...
>
>Actually, since it is ruled by money, it might be a "buckarchy", but
>again, everybody can spare a few bucks, so it might be a democracy
>too if you insist on twisting the meaning of words.

Yes, I think it would be a good idea to name the resulting society...

Jim Bell
[email protected]