Re: Canada allows crypto exports

At 1:30 AM 5/22/96, M. Plumb wrote:
>Several months ago I filed a set of export applications requesting
>permission to export cryptographic software from Canada. I learned a
>few things from these applications, my conversations with people at
>Export Controls, and my own careful reading of Canada's export laws.
>
>    There are a few countries to which you may not export anything,
>    without a permit.

Except for trading with Cuba, same countries U.S. specifies.

>    You need a permit to export most cryptographic software.

As per arrangements with U.S.

>    Cryptographic software of U.S. origin may be exported, but you
>    need to file paperwork.

Canada is the 51st state, or possibly only a terrritory or possession.

>    Cryptographic software from other countries may be exported without
>    any paperwork.

As with the U.S.

>    These are the Canadian rules. Canada interprets and enforces the
>    U.S. export laws when they think it is necessary. While the U.S.
>    government has sometimes objected to a Canadian interpretation, no
>    Canadian exporter, acting with Canadian permission, has been charged
>    by the U.S. government.

Despite the above, just how could a Canadian exporter, in Canada, be
"charged" by the U.S. government? Please explain.

--Tim May

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!