Re: FTC online workshop on privacy

From:	IN%"[email protected]"  "Declan B. McCullagh" 22-MAY-1996 19:58:03.69

>Excerpts from cypherpunks: 22-May-96 Re: FTC online workshop on .. by
"E. ALLEN SMITH"@ocelot.
>>         It's unsurprising that some of the same groups backing the CDA are
>> backing this, since they used danger to children as an excuse for it. (A
>> rather transparent one, given the actions vs Compuserve). I am
>> disappointed in EPIC for cooperating with them.

>You shouldn't be, and I should have been more clear. There is a broad
>coalition of groups supporting this legislation, including (from memory)
>the Kids off Lists! project, Center for Media Education, and Consumer
>Federation of America.

	This appears to be another liberal (e.g., EPIC) vs libertarian
difference. Liberals say we've got to have laws to protect the children, such
as via keeping them from _email_ lists. Libertarians say it's the job of the
parents (and the police, for non-anarchists) to protect the children. Yes,
such lists can be misused (although I see no more reason to say the email ones
can be truly misused than to say the CDA was justified). So can, say,
cryptography.
	-Allen