Re: Floating Point and Financial Software

At 11:40 PM 5/23/96, Paul S. Penrod wrote:

>But there is a simpler method to avoid the problem entirely. There is
>suffcient horsepower in uP's these days to support "long hand" division
>and multiplication. Granted it takes some extra grey matter to write the
>routines, but once done, you can vary the amount of precision to whatever
>you desire and not have to worry about accuracy.

I've been skipping most of the "floatingpointpunks" messags, but will note
that several languages I personally use (however infrequently) have
"bignum" support and support full-precision calculations. These include:
LISP and Scheme, Smalltalk, and Mathematica.

If performance is not an issue, the bignum packages available in C and C++
ought to be sufficient for any financial needs.

And Hal Finney is working on a bignum package for Java.

--Tim May

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!