Re: [SCARE]: "If you only knew what we know..."

On Fri, 24 May 1996, Martin Minow wrote:

> The briefing might go something like this: "Remember the terrorist bombing of
> the Libian Embassy? Well, "they" were planning to bomb the <??> embassy,
> but we intercepted their messages and prevented the attack.

Libyan embassies don't get bombed. They just have thugs shooting unarmed
WPCs from them under protection of diplomatic immunity (I used to live in
Pimlico, and went to college in South Kensington, and going past the
Yvonne Fletcher memorial always got me upset

Anyway, they're not just state sponsored terrorists, they're the actual
terrorist state, and can thus can easily get access to whatever
crypto they want; in extrimis shipping OTPs by diplomatic pouch; it's the
smaller, unofficial groups where the case is most easily made.

If I thought that restricting crypto were possible, I might be convinced
by solid argument along this line, though as a Londoner and having spent
some time working in Israel, I'm probably easier to convince than most
people here (just about the only tube station I used to use regularly
that wasn't hit by the IRA was Chigwell, and that isn't wholly a good
thing :-).

However, now that the four horses have gone, and all that's left in the
stable are the my little ponies, why slam the barn door and bop their
noses for no good reason?

Simon