Re: [SCARE]: "If you only knew what we know..."

At 09:07 PM 5/24/96 -0600, David Rosoff wrote:

>At 01.03 PM 5/24/96 -0800, jim bell wrote:
>
>>If the Libyans are so bad (and they probably are) then why shouldn't the
>>public in other countries be entitled to pool their contributions and take
>>their government down?
>
>I believe I understand the basic concepts of AP - perhaps not the far-reaching
>implications, but the fundamentals. I've thought about it, and I am against
this
>system. What will happen when you've killed off all of the
politicians/gov't employees
>who haven't quit? Do you really think this will make things better?

1.  There will be no politicans and government employees, except for those
few who do not arouse the ire of more than a tiny fraction of the
population, and are paid for by voluntary contributions.  In other words,
damn few.

2.  There will be no taxes and no war.  Any disputes will be of very small
scale, a handful of people at most.

3.  Individuals will be able to, and in fact will be responsible to defend
themselves, although they may be able to do it by proxy.  People will always
have the option of defending others, and will do so if they believe that it
deters future crimes that might be against them.

>Anarchy simply
>won't work with people. Have you ever read Lord of the Flies? I'm sure some
>people haven't.

Yes, I read it years ago.  That book is fiction.  Whether it represents any
sort of potential reality is highly questionable.  Even its premise is
stilted:  It hypothesizes a tiny, essentially homogenous society populated
by immature boys, dropped into circumstances entirely foreign from anything
they had ever known, with no adult guidance at all.  Can you really expect
good results from this, in fiction no less?  Would it have made a good book
if everything had happened hunky-dory?

Anyway, anarchy is tradionally considered unstable because the strong are
able to oppress the weak, and the weak can't effectively fight back, so
governments are instituted.  The system I've described, AP, allows a
substantial number of anonymous weak people to (anonymously) pool their
resources and defend themselves against a smaller number of strong
oppressors.  This is NEW.  It may, in fact, allow anarchy to exist in a
stable form, which may sound like an oxymoron but is not.  If anarchy does
indeed work, when suitably stabilized, then your premise is simply wrong.

> Have any of you AP proponents
>considered that perhaps our oh-so-corrupt government officials are simply
>the best that our amoral, decaying populace has to offer? What would we
>gain by rubbing them out?

I see we have another Dr. Pangloss here.  "the best of all possible worlds."

We have plenty to gain by removing them from their positions of power.  They
are wasteful parasites.  They engage in make-work.  They manipulate the rest
of us.  They criminalize activities that should not be crimes.  They make us
waste our resources, for example by keeping ever-larger numbers of people in
jail and prison.  They are protected by militaries, which are wasteful uses
of our resources.  Ultimately, they end up killing huge numbers of people,
ultimately just to protect the supremacy of these government employees and
officeholders.

> Maybe the current form of government isn't perfect, or even great, but it is still
>much better than anything that could possibly result from anonymous terrorism,
>which is really what AP is, isn't it?

Who is to say that we even need a government?  What, exactly, is the
function of a government?  Is that function truly necessary?  Remember, AP
changes the political landscape substantially.  You can't any longer say
things like "governmnet is necessary so that we can protect ourselves
against foreign nations," because there will no longer be any foreign
nations, or foreign armies, etc.

>Peace can only be achieved by understanding, not through force or fear.

Sounds like a truism that isn't necessarily true.  Don't deny individuals
the right to defend themselves.  If you do, then you actually encourage
force used against them, and magnify their fear.  Don't selectively apply
this rule to ordinary citizens, while forgetting to apply it to officials.

And maybe we don't really even need to "achieve peace."  I've come to the
conclusion that the only reason war is "necessary" is to protect the
leadership of a country, not to protect its citizens.  Remove that
leadership from power, and peace will be automatic.

Jim Bell
[email protected]