Re: holographic remailing & key escrow

At 03:20 PM 5/26/96 -0700, Wei Dai wrote:

>This software already exists.  Take a look at Disperse/Collect at
>http://www.eskimo.com/~weidai.  Disperse splits a file into n base64
>encoded pieces where any k of them can be used to reconstruct the
>original.  Collect will search through arbitrary collection of files (for
>example the entire news spool) for these pieces and automatically
>reconstruct everything that it finds.

        Could something akin to this be a practicle method or test for
Blaze's "Key Escrow without Escrow Agents"? The main thing lacking is a
secure method to get it out to the different escrow servers... (One could
just encrypt each chunk of the message/key in a server's public key...
Servers would read that newsgroup and pull down and escrow the chunks that
they recognize.)
Regards,            When we ask advice, we are usually looking for
                    an accomplice. -Marquis de la Grange
Joseph  Reagle      http://farnsworth.mit.edu/~reagle/home.html
[email protected]      E0 D5 B2 05 B6 12 DA 65  BE 4D E3 C1 6A 66 25 4E