Re: Asendmail For Mix [Testers Needed]

On Mon, 27 May 1996, John A. Perry wrote:

> On Mon, 27 May 1996, Ben Holiday wrote:
>
> > I've put together a program that acts as a replacement for sendmail with
> > mixmaster, along with a list of 135 sites on the internet that either do
> > not add received headers at all, or add headers that don't indicate who
> > the originator was.
>
> 	Do these sites know that you are using them to mask a remailer? I
> would think it would be very bad netiquette to cause a system to be
> investigated by some official authority because your remailer was using
> them as a front without their express knowledge and permission.

No, they dont. And yes, it probably is bad netiquette. Unfortunately, the
idea of your friendly neighborhood remailer is dying very quickly. Using
other remailers as out-points is fine in so far as it goes, but someone
eventually must eventually send mail to someone who isnt a remailer.

If we define a remailer as a site that strips identifying headers from
mail and passes it to its destination, then these sites are in fact
remailers. They simply dont advertise themselves as such.

Why is it that hundreds of government and university machines can operate
what amount to anonymous remailers, and no one pays any attention, and yet
cypherpunks are threatened with jail time for what is essentially the same
thing?