Re: Quickremail v1.0b

From:	IN%"[email protected]"  "Matts Kallioniemi" 28-MAY-1996 06:08:28.40

>Why would anyone set up a remailer at Lance's (or Sameer's) machine?
>They have remailers running already. If the thugs break root and obtain
>one remailer key from a machine, they probably get all the keys on that
>machine, compromising all the remailers in one single attack. Or am I
>missing something? Is there any benefit of multiple remailers on a machine
>where root is running his own remailer?

	Well, the advantages are: A. I get Lance's help more quickly in setting
up this one, so I can later go to other machines (preferably out of the
country) and set things up the same way there (getting Mixmaster from an
out-of-US source, of course); and B. supporting the efforts of Sameer, Lance,
et al by paying them some money. While multiple ISPs are certainly
preferable (to avoid one rubber-hose (e.g., law enforcement) breaking from
getting everything), your argument assumes that all the machines at a given
ISP are linked together such that if one is broken, the rest are - which
isn't very good from a security standpoint, so I'd hope it _isn't_ the case.

>The vax pgp is available at
>ftp://ftp.net-connect.net/pub/cypherpunks/pgp/vaxpgp262.tar.Z

	Thanks,
	-Allen