Re: WSJ on "IRS-bashing"

At 3:36 PM 5/29/96, [email protected] wrote:
>According to WSJ, Leslie B. Samuels, "Treasury's top tax-policy official"
>says that "IRS-bashing is 'counterproductive and harmful'" -- and that
>"destructive rhetoric ... hurts the tax system and society" [elisions are
>the WSJ's]
>
>What if a the CDA grew little by little by little until it covered
>statements deemed "destructive rhetoric" .... hmmm. I mean after all, if
>it harms society....!

If the CDA is upheld by the Supreme Court, which would surprise me, then
"free speech" as we know it is gone completely.

By the way, it's _already_ the case that "hurtful speech" can be prosecuted
as a civil rights violation of a class of persons. If I refer to women as
"bitches and hoes" ("hoe" = "whore," in certain American dialects) I am, as
I understand things, technically in violation of various laws which outlaw
the repression, subjugation, marginalization, and encheferation of women
and other colored people.

(Oh, I can say these things in the privacy of my home without fear of
reprisal by the State, or even in small groups. But if I say this in
public, or in a company, or in many other fora, look out!)

Liberty has been given away for several decades in this country.

--Tim May

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!