Web Resource on Netspam

http://www.metareality.com/~nathan/visit.cgi/html.Spam
Title: Spam (Not the Hormel product)
[Fighting Spam] : [Graffiti] : [Home] : [Limericks] : [Linkage]

An honest
politician
is one who
takes your
bribe AND
votes as
you ask.

Spam (Not the Hormel product)

Anyone familiar with the usenet has seen it. It's the vile stuff that brain-dead get-rick-quick scheme promoters and professionsal advertisers foist upon us all with increasing regularity. There are (to date) two species of spam, differentiated by the mechanism by which they are delivered. Each has its own defining charateristics, each has its own sub-species, but both have two things in common: they're made possible by the workings of the internet, and they're both examples of the same type of 'cost-shifting' that made junk faxes illegal. Contrary to postal junk mail, where the sender bears the full cost of delivery, the spammer bears only a fraction of the cost of delivery; the remainder of the costs are borne by us, the recipients. It's a waste of your bandwidth, your disk space, and your time.
email spam
Messages delivered by electronic mail to large numbers of recipients who did not ask for or otherwise solicit the messages. It's the junk mail of the 21st century, only worse.

usenet spam
Messages delivered by usenet to large numbers of newsgroups whose chartered topics are unrelated to (and may even explicitly forbid) the topic of the message.

Not enough people seem to realize that there are constructive ways to deal with it, and to reduce the chance that you'll have to deal with it again in the future.

What to do

What NOT to do

The most effective is to write some polite email to the administrator of the site from which the spam originated.

You'll soon learn that most system administrators are very unhappy about users who spam the net. It's always gratifying when they write back to tell you that the offending account has been terminated.

Start reading news.admin.net-abuse.misc to learn more about how to deal with spammers.

If there's a 1-800 number, call it to express your displeasure. It might please you to note that 1-800 numbers typically cost them a small amount of money with each call. How much do you pay for your disk space and bandwidth with each unsolicited bit of email? It's only fair, right?

Grab your telephone, or even pay them a visit in person. You generally have to have access to a unix command line to find the phone numbers and addresses, unless you're dealing with the same spammers that have been bothering me. Why stick to email? If they're in your area, tell them face-to-face that you object to their tactics.

Don't post a follow-up message in the same newsgroup. Do you really think that the spammer is going to re-visit thousands of newsgroups to see what people had to say?

The same goes for mailing lists. If you get spammed via a mailing list, never reply to the list. Your words will just get re-broadcast to everyone else on the list, thus doubling the nuisance created by the spammer.

Fun stuff that doesn't get results, but might be good for a laugh

Recycling
If they enjoy sending spam, then it only makes sense that they wouldn't mind getting their own, right? Just for kicks, forward each new spam to the spammers who have pestered you in the past. While I can't vouch for its effectiveness, it does reek of poetic justice, and it makes me feel a little better. It usually makes people laugh out loud when I explain it, too.

A Pre-emptive Anti-Spam Tactic
Why wait to get spammed, when you can see them coming in news.admin.net-abuse.misc? Let the spammers know in advance that they will be charged (insert dollar amount here) if they send you any junk mail.

Additional references

Spam and Anonymous Remailing Services
Damien Lucifer ([email protected]) operates an anonymous remailing service. He's put together a page covering spam and remailers, including how to get a remailer to stop spamming you, and it is my pleasure to host this page for him.

mail bombing
For advanced spam-fighters only. Can concerted emailbombing be employed as a legitimate spam-fighting tactic? Pros, cons, and related issues.

About Junk Email
Some of the hows and whys of junk email, and tactics you can use to help rid yourself of it.

A press release from MCI
...with information about their anti-spam policies. See also their online policy statement. Note that MCI's seriousness about these statements has been severely questioned in light of their (mis)handling of the Moneyworld/CHAG spammer. 30 days between announcing that the situation is being dealt with and finally cutting off a spammer with message-per-week spamming speed? This is pretty disgusting in light of the good press MCI got when they announced their spam policies. It's starting to look more like a PR stunt than a policy statement. I can only take comfort knowing that at least their sysadmins are aware of (and frustrated with) the situation.

I must disclaim that civil legal issues may be involved in the MCI/Moneyworld dispute, so there may be things going on that the public isn't aware of. Still, for MCI not to have covered its corporate ass does not speak well of MCI's sincerity or the competence of MCI's lawyers.

Outlaw Junk EMail Now!
Write your legislators, ask them to expand the TCPA to include junk email! Note that as the law is currently written, it is unlikely to be applicable to email.

Fighting Junk Email"
More information about junk email and related issues. Includes pointers to mechanical tactics for dealing with junk email.

Spam FAQ
Everything you never wanted to know about net spamming.

Get that spammer!
Webified TCP/IP tools to aid in the fight against spam.

Litigation to the rescue?
Use of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act of 1991 (47 U.S.C. sec 227) to nail junk emails. The case described was settled out of court, but the ideas is intriguing. This commentary, written by a lawyer, does not seem optistic about applying the TCPA directly to junk email, but doesn't rule out the possibility, either.

Litigation to the rescue!
$500 fines for junk mail via the courts. Sounds like promising tactic for dealing with intra-USA spammings. Some commentary on this law was posted to usenet a while back.

The U.S. Postal Service on Chain Letters
Contrary to what the make.money.fast crowd would have you believe, these scams are illegal. See the aforelinked page for details, and and consider talking to the appropriate postal inspector as well.

The Better Business Bureau
These folks will be happy to be notified of 'improper selling practices' via the aforelinked form.

Anti-Spam lists
This is a relatively new phenomenon. People are starting to offer the 'service' of collecting lists of addresses of folks who do not want to get spam.

I think this is a bad idea, since it attempts to legitimize junk email, by implying that if an email address is not on the list, it's prefectly OK to send junk email. The other problem with this idea is that there are going to be several of them, and no junkmailer is going to filter their list using each "service." Thus, it will be up to the recipients to track down all of the "services."

Currently there are at least three running. One is at http://dm1.com/Epreference/epref.html, one is at http://www.kenjen.com/nospam, and I don't have an URL for the last - it was sent to me via unsolicited email, naturally.

Terms of Service and Acceptable usage policies
Most Internet service providers require that their customers agree to a set of terms of service (TOS) or an acceptable usage policy (AUP). A random sampling: Mindspring's policy, Primenet's AUP, MCI's spamming policy, and the terms and conditions for my own ISP, Northwest Nexus (a.k.a. halcyon.com).

I should note that while Northwest Nexus doesn't describe spamming in their terms of service, they have booted more than one spammer in the past. It surprises me greatly that they aren't explicit about this in their published terms and conditions.

A spamhandling robot
This is very "under construction," but worth mentioning anyhow. I'm putting together some perl code to automate the spam-handling process.

Common flavors of net.spam

The MAKE.MONEY.FAST scheme
A direct descendant of the chain letters of old, this is the pyramid scam of the information age... A quick look at the mathematics behind the idea will expose the scam.
Phone-sex cretins
They post a couple of lines of text-mode heavy breathing, and usually a 1-800 number that you're invited to call. Call the 1-800 number. Really. It costs them money every time you do! They make their money via the 1-900 number that they ask you to call next. So just call the 1-800 number again. And again. And again.

[Fighting Spam] : [Graffiti] : [Home] : [Limericks] : [Linkage]
Don't just browse here, say something!
Speak your mind in this space here:

[Fighting Spam] : [Graffiti] : [Home] : [Limericks] : [Linkage]

n a t e s c a p e @ m e t a r e a l i t y . c o m
This page last updated Aug 21
Comments last updated Aug 22