Re: Fairness, Justice, and Cypherpunks (fwd)

At 1:49 PM 6/1/96, Jim Choate wrote:

>Businesses (and government) have no rights under the Constitution and should
>enjoy no rights under the Constitution. Rights are the sole purvue of real live
>human beings (ie individuals) and not groups or paper individuals (stupidest
>idea I have ever seen in the legal field). It is not reasonable to support

This may come as a surprise to newspapers, which are corporations for the
most part, and other publishing companies. Here we thought the First
Amendment covered them.

Apparently not. The government of the U.S. may freely tell "Time" magazine
what to right, may tell "Wired" what official slant to put on a story, and
what images "Playboy" may not publish.

Oh, and the various religious institutions are clearly not covered, either,
as they are groups. While _individuals_ are free to worship as they please,
they'd better not form a church or synagogue, lest the government give them
instructions on what to do.

And the Fourth Amendment and other amendments don't cover small businesses,
large corporations, etc., so the cops are perfectly free to knock the doors
down, enter whenever they wish, force companies to quarter troops, seize
property without due process,....

Is this what you're saying is the case, or is this what you want to be the case?

--Tim May

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!