Re: NRC Cryptography Report: The Text of the Recommendations

On Fri, 31 May 1996, jim bell wrote:

> >This is then followed with a couple of pages of justification for why
> >this relaxation of the export policies should be allowed.  Much is made
> >of the fact that people will be more likely to use 56 bit encryption than
> >the 40 bit which is currently allowed.  (This is an example of the
> >perspective issue I mentioned above.)  However, nowhere is it stated why
> >more than 56 bits is not OK, and why it is necessary to forbid repeated
> >use to increase confidentiality.  There is not one word of discussion of
> >this proviso.
>
> A very curious omission!  It seems to me that if they're trying to explain
> any sort of limits on encryption, they should focus carefully on WHY those
> limits should exist, and why, exactly, those limits should be selected at
> any particular level.

The way it was explained in the press conference is that 56 bit DES was
their feeling about what business needed now, and that 56 bit DES was
_not_ a once-and-for-all stopping point, but just an example of "industry
needs" etc.

What this really means is that they were too chicken to mention PGP.

Jon Lasser
Jon Lasser (410)532-7138                         - Obscenity  is a crutch  for
[email protected]                            inarticulate motherfuckers.
http://www.goucher.edu/~jlasser/
Finger for PGP key (1024/EC001E4D)               - Fuck the CDA.