Re: opinions on book "The Truth Machine"

At 12:14 AM 6/3/96, Adam Back wrote:

>Well, we don't have curfews yet, but they're getting keen on security
>video cameras lately, the university has a few even, on top of
>buildings, the steerable variety, and with what I presume are IR spots
>mounted on them.

Today's newspaper (SJ Mercury News) carried a long article about
increasingly ubiquitous video surveillance cameras, and singled out the
U.K. as a place that is leading. Apparently even small villages have 50 or
more cameras scattered around...men have been arrested for urinating in
bushes outside pubs, caught by the infrared pickups (I hadn't thought about
the cameras being IR, but this makes sense, as a large fraction of street
crimes take place in dark or semidark areas).

The article claimed that the cameras and microphones are the latest in
surveillance technology, provided by the U.K. defense establishment.

Privacy advocates gave comments--they were predictably quite worried.

The links with crypto policy are of course apparent.

--Winston Smith

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!