Re: "Insider Non-Trading" (Re: Insider Trading and InsideInformation)

[email protected]  wrote:

>The SEC tumbled to this some time ago, and now demands that all
>those who are insiders, or who are married to insiders, or who are
>golfing buddies of insiders register their trading intentions 90
>days in advance of any transaction. (This will increase to 120 days
>in 1997, and 180 days the following year.)

Those intentions in all likelyhood will not be binding...When I
used to work for Swiss Bank Corp, the SEC demanded that any person
who was privy to trading information (basically everyone) had to
file for approval before making a transaction.  This approval was
non-binding. I don't think the SEC has the power to mandate that a
entity commit to a trade 180 days before the trade is suppose to
happen, after all the instrument the entity is registering their
intent to make a trasaction in; could have something horrible happen
to it within 180 days (apple could blow up their headquarters for
example)

The SEC may however have the power to request a reason for your
decision not to make the transaction.  Which seems like it would be
alot of work, since their are tons of and tons of approvals that get
made.  (I know alot of people who would make a request to trade
something, not do a trade, but have another request become active
when the original request expired (they give you a 2 week window or
so))

--Kurt