Re: Why PGP isn't so ubiquitous (was NRC Session Hiss)

On Mon, 3 Jun 1996, Deranged Mutant wrote:

> On  2 Jun 96 at 21:15, Lucky Green wrote:
>
> > That PGP is ubiquitous is subject to discussion. PGP is widely available,
> > but that doesn't mean that it is widely used. What percentage of email is
> > PGP encrypted? Less than half a percent?
>
> In part because it's not well integrated with mailers.  That could
> change with a PGP3 DLL.

I think that is the main reason PGP is not more common place. If it was
seamlessly integrated with Windows software such as mailers I am sure it
would be used widely. It will be interesting to see if this develops.

> PGP isn't only used for email:
>
>  o files distributed over the net that are PGP-signed
>  o signed email
>  o non-emailed file distributions (over BBS, or physical
>     transfer of disks)
>  o personal storage (though other utilities are better-suited
>     for that than PGP)
>  o related utilities that make use of PGP-keys (HPack
>     archiver)
>
> The reasons PGP hasn't become widely used are because of it's lack of
> user-friendliness and poor integration into other tools

I think it is actually easy to use, although granted others may not; but
that people tend not to use it as a matter of course (and it is my belief
this is a desireable thing) due too the time taken to manually sign mail
or sign and encrypt. Lets face it the average user has trouble with a
dos command prompt and until there is a point and click emailer easily
available most people just won't try PGP for email. It would also raise
the general awareness of PGP and encryption and privacy issues I hope as
it is my experience that outside the dedicated and the interested, very
few have even heard of PGP or realise that their email may be read easily
by persons other than the intended recipient. If this should occurr the
horse would have bolted as far as any attempts at government outlawing
its use; by and large; or at the very least would make it impossible to
pass laws banning PGP without the public at large realising that they
might possibly be loosing something which at the moment I doubt many
would having never used encryption for email.

--
   .////.   .//    Charles Senescall            [email protected]
 o:::::::::///                                         [email protected]
   '\\\\\'   \\    http://quux.apana.org.au/~apache/