Re: CWD: "Jacking in from the "One that Got Away" Port

On  3 Jun 96 at 22:19, Declan McCullagh wrote:

> (By Brock Meeks / [email protected] / Archived at http://www.cyberwerks.com/)
>  CyberWire Dispatch // Copyright (c) 1996 //
>  Jacking in from the "One that Got Away" Port:
[..]
>  That key length stuff is just so much gibberish to those playing
>  without a scorecard, so let me drill down on it for you.  Basically,
>  the longer the key length, the harder it is for a message to be broken
>  by "brute force" automated attacks.  Current U.S. laws prohibit the
>  export of any encryption device with a key length longer than 40-bits,
>  or roughly the equivalent of  Captain Crunch decoder ring. For hardcore
>  math types, I'm told that a 1024-bit key length is 10 to the 296th
>  power more difficult to break than 40 bits.

Too bad he got caught up in the gibberish.

---
No-frills sig.
Befriend my mail filter by sending a message with the subject "send help"
Key-ID: 5D3F2E99 1996/04/22 [email protected] (root@magneto)
        AB1F4831 1993/05/10 Deranged Mutant <[email protected]>
Send a message with the subject "send pgp-key" for a copy of my key.