Re: (VTW) BillWatch #48

At 10:17 AM 6/4/96 -0400, Carl Ellison wrote:

>I was at the EPIC conference yesterday (6/3) -- where Whit Diffie, BTW,
presented the same argument Steven Cherry gave in this BillWatch  -- but at
the end of the EPIC conference we had Scott Charney of DoJ on a panel about
what the OECD is doing (pushing Clipper internationally) and we kept going
round with him on the administration's pushing of Clipper (N). [One attendee
described this as "forum shopping" -- looking for a friendly place to push
Clipper.]

>There were people battling him over his alleged representation of the USA
at the OECD -- claiming he was misrepresenting the country by pushing
Clipper.  His response was that the Executive is empowered to do all
international meetings/negotiations/....

>After the meeting ended it hit me what the problem is and I mentioned it to
PRZ.  We're complaining that the Executive has gone rogue -- is disobeying
the will of the people.  PRZ likened it to Nixon's war in Cambodia.

I have a solution to that problem.

Jim Bell
[email protected]