Re: How to explain crypto?

Im quoting directly from the PGP manual from pgp2.6.2:

"People who work in factoring research say that the workload to
exhaust all the possible 128-bit keys in the IDEA cipher would
roughly equal the factoring workload to crack a 3100-bit RSA key,
which is quite a bit bigger than the 1024-bit RSA key size that most
people use for high security applications..."

If we take phil at his word, I would say that comparing 90bit symetric to
1024bit RSA would be a bit generous to RSA.