Fight-Censorship Dispatch #12: CDA deathwatch, copyright update

                        Fight-Censorship Dispatch #12
                          The CDA deathwatch begins
         By Declan McCullagh / [email protected] / Redistribute freely

In this dispatch: CDA deathwatch begins, vultures start to circle
                  Copyright update: sucks to continue, sucks to delay
                  Fred Cherry, back in action!
                  MIT's Seth Finkelstein weighs in on copyright
                  Internet Caucus prepares pro-Net resolution

June 4, 1996

WASHINGTON, DC -- The CDA deathwatch has begun and hungry scavengers
are starting to close in on the ill-begotten law's moldering carcass.

The Philly court yesterday attracted still more hovering media
vultures by saying they'll announce when they're ready to release
their decision.

What a tease.

This evening I called Chris Hansen, who's leading the ACLU's legal
team challenging the CDA in Philadelphia's Federal court. He told me:

  The court will try to give as much advance notice as possible. This
  is unusual but not unheard of -- all along the court has treated
  this as a very important case. They had the court historian come in
  and take pictures the first day. And the clerk himself has been
  present, not his deputies.

(In case anyone's interested, I'm still offering 3:1 odds in our favor
in Philly, though all bets are off when we get to the Supreme Court.)

In the last week, the ALA/CIEC and ACLU media operations shifted into
overdrive, pumping out a flurry of press advisories telling mediaperns
to be on the lookout -- that a decision is expected "any day now."

That was the idea, at least. Conventional wisdom said that our
three-judge panel in Philly would want to rule before the court in New
York City that's currently hearing a weaker, parallel challenge to the
CDA. After all, Federal judges are political beasts and it's a cinch
that any of 'em would want to write an opinion in this landmark case.

Final arguments in the NYC case were scheduled for yesterday. But at
the hearing, the Manhattan court decided it had more questions for
both sides and gave the government until June 7 to file responses and
the plaintiff, Joe Shea, until June 13.

That means that our court has until the end of next week to issue its
decision -- and still come out first.

And so the deathwatch groans onward...

+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+
           COPYRIGHT UPDATE: SUCKS TO CONTINUE, SUCKS TO DELAY
+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+

I wrote in my May 30 dispatch that there's "a fighting chance that
this braindead copyright bill will pass this year."

Now I'm not as sure. The House subcommittee markup session that
tentatively was scheduled for June 5 has been cancelled, and it won't
take place before June 12 or 13.

That's good and bad. The upside is that this ill-fated bill likely
won't pass in any form this session -- but the mucky underside is that
the courts will continue to rely on a Clinton administration white
paper released last fall by copyright czar Bruce Lehman.

Lehman, who heads the Patents and Trademark Office, hatched this
boondoggle that slams online fair-use rights and slaps service
providers with hefty fines if one of their users violates someone's
copyright.

A well-connected lawyer in DC sent me email on this earlier tonight:

  No copyright legislation is going to be passed this year. This comes
  from [Important Name deleted --DBM]. That means the White Paper will
  guide courts for at least the next very critical six months. The
  Scientology v. Lerma court has been looking [for] legislative
  direction, but they can't stall much longer. They will have to base
  their decision on the only thing they have, the White Paper.

Somehow, I suspect the Church of Scientology won't mind that one bit.

+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+
                       FRED CHERRY, BACK IN ACTION!
+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+-=-+

Fred Cherry, everyone's favorite net.loon and a truly redoubtable
USENET flamer, took center stage briefly at yesterday's Shea v. Reno
CDA hearing in New York City. The amateur lawyer succeeded in joining
his lawsuit with Joe Shea's and has been merrily introducing excerpts
from soc.motss "homonazi" flamewars into evidence.

He maintains that to reply to flames, he must use "indecent" or
"patently offensive" language, which could violate the CDA.

Mark Mangan writes on the June 3 hearing:

  In his deep, raspy voice [Judge] Cabranes then called Fred Cherry,
  who had attended every day of the hearings in hopes of consolidating
  his case. The chief judge looked at a paper and pronounced Cherry's
  name again. Someone leaned over the seats and tapped Cherry. He
  awoke, arose, gathered his plastic bags and umbrella and, wearing
  his overcoat, approached the bench. He walked straight to the
  microphone and rested his belongings at his feet. Cherry started
  his hurried talk about how he "despised the ACLU" and what he was
  there to discuss "goes all the way back 30 years."

I interviewed Cherry earlier today. Here's what he told me:

  Q: HOW DID YOU FEEL AFTER THE HEARING?